The results ?!? Better than I expected. As close as I think anyone could possibly get. It will be added to our family's dinner menu and eaten AT LEAST once a month if not more.

Dressing - I tried version 1 but it came out quite thick. I would attempt a different one in the future.
CAFE RIO CILANTRO-LIME RANCH DRESSING (version 1):
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomatillo salsa (green salsa)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
CAFE RIO CILANTRO-LIME RANCH DRESSING (version 2):
- 1 packet TRADITIONAL Hidden Valley Ranch mix (not BUTTERMILK)
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 tomatillos, remove husk, diced
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno (If you like it SPICY keep the seeds in it. If you like it mild, remove the seeds.)
Rice - Sorry my picture makes it look like mashed potatoes because I let the rice cook a little too long. Turned out yummy still -
CAFE RIO CILANTRO-LIME RICE:
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tsp. butter or margarine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, 1 tsp. lime juice, chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a small bowl combine lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice.
Guacamole - my guac didn't turn out because my avacados were not ready yet. I'll have to try it some other time.
ANGELA'S GUACAMOLE:
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed
- 1 or 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded, and mashed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped fine
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
SWEET PORK - absolutely amazing.
CAFE RIO SWEET PORK:
- 2 pounds pork
- 3 cans Coke, divided (NOT diet; I've heard that Caffeine-Free works)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- dash garlic salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can sliced green chilies
- 3/4 can enchilada sauce (Old El Paso brand, medium spici ness)
- 1 cup brown sugar
Put the pork in a heavy duty Ziploc bag. Add about a can and a half of Coke and about 1/4 c. of brown sugar. Marinate for a few hours or overnight.
Drain marinade and put pork, 1/2 can of coke, water, and garlic salt in crock pot on high for about 3-4 hours (or until it shreds easily, but don't let it get TOO dry). Remove pork from crock pot and drain any liquid left in the pot. Shred pork.
In a food processor or blender, blend 1/2 ca
n Coke, chilies, enchilada sauce and remaining brown sugar (about a cup, you can add a little more or less to taste). If it looks too thick, add more Coke little by little. Put shredded pork and sauce in crock pot and cook on low for 2 hours.
Beans - Beans, beans - the magical fruit...
CAFE RIO BLACK BEANS:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/3 c. tomato juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
In a nonstick skillet, cook garlic and cumin in olive oil over medium heat until you can smell it. Add beans, tomato juice, and salt. Continually stir until heated through. Just before serving stir in the cilantro. (I read a suggestion to mix the black beans with a can of corn and add a dash of cumin and chili powder.)

PICO - the longer it sits, the better it tastes
PICO DE GALLO:
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
HOW TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:
You can buy the aluminum deep-dish pans at the grocery store (I just used a round cake pan). Lay a tortilla in the bottom of the pan, sprinkle cheddar cheese on it, and put in the oven at 375 for about 5 min or until the cheese is melted.
After you add the cheese to your preferred tortilla, add the following ingredients in this order: beans, rice, pork, romaine lettuce (not iceburg), a scoop of pico de gallo, guacamole, some crushed tortilla chips (I have yet to find the little tortilla strips), a shake of Parmesan cheese, a few cilantro leaves, and don't forget the best part, the dressing!
Thanks to my old friend Kendra Drake from my very first married ward for writing a post on her blog about my absolute favorite restaurant and enabling me to once again have my beloved dish anytime I want to now!





15 comments:
Wow! Way to go! That sounds like a great substitute when you can't have the real thing. I can just see you salivating over it. :)
Erica! That looks sooo good!!!! Ok, we need to each make a couple of the items and then eat together :) The sooner the better! YUMMY!!!
Mmm, we'll be trying that! If you have a costco around, they have these GREAT raw tortillas in the frozen foods section. You bring them home and cook them just like at Cafe Rio. They are a perfect substitute!
Woah! ambitious! but I bet well worth it. I miss Cafe Rio too.
Yummy! Thanks for the recipe...we always need new ideas since I'm stuck on the same ole recipes! :)
That looks yummy! can you send some of that my way? I don't think I would have the energy to do all that work myself... I'm lazy! You go girl!
Hello...I stalk your blog. :) I'm a friend of Melissas from Missouri...I love your post! I can't wait to try this stuff out! That is one thing that I miss terribly about Provo!
Ok that looks soooo good but it looked like a ton of work! I agree with Melissa...we should all get together and each make a part of it and enjoy a yummy lunch one day. That way we get the reward without all the work!
We made that at Joe's parents one night. They are pretty good recipes. i'll have to pull mine out and compare. I was also going to tell you the costco raw tortillas are great!
What a delish dish!!
Thanks for the recipes! It all looks great!
oh Yum, these look SO GOOD! And I am not usually interested in cooking BUT the recipes and the pictures made me want to try these!! :)
thanks for sharing :)
Wow! I'm very impressed w/your spread-like Megan (Tea) said, very ambitious! I'm super-excited that you included the guac recipe. It's really hard to find dairy-free guacamole recipes, so to have one as good as Cafe Rio's is fabulous!
Hi Erica! I'm glad you liked the recipes and you're sharing them! Everyone should enjoy such a delicious dish. Last week I made both dressing recipes at the same time and I decided version 2 tastes more like the real thing so I took version 1 off my blog. And I agree, version 1 is too thick. My rice also turned out like yours. I think the recipe calls for too much liquid. I'm either going to add only 1 cup of chicken broth (instead of the whole can) or I'm going to try out this other recipe next to see if it turns out better.
CAFÉ RIO CILANTRO-LIME RICE
2 cups water
4 tsp. chicken bouillon
2 cloves garlic –minced
1 can green chilies—or equivalent fresh
¾ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. butter
½ onion
1 cup rice
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
Blend green chilies and onion together in food processor. Bring water to a boil and add all ingredients except the last three, simmer covered 25-30 minutes. In a small bowl combine lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice.
I'm glad to hear it turned out so well! I too love Cafe Rio, and have had those recipes for so long but never had the time to make them. I think I may need to make the time--YUM!
Post a Comment