Home

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Being left in the dust...

If I keep running can I look like that?

Even if THAT never happens for me I've decided I REALLY LIKE (I can't quite bring myself to say LOVE yet) running. I never thought it would happen. But I think it has.

Last week when we were on vacation I ran three times. It had been a couple of times because I had injured my knee prior to our trip and oh how I had missed it. As soon as I got outside and started jogging (that's really what my run probably is) I thought to myself, "I'm actually really enjoying this."

I'm not sure if it was the break from my kiddos I desperately needed, or the gorgeous weather, or the exercise my body was craving after eating out WAY too much but for whatever reason I loved being able to get out and run and was so thankful that my body was able to allow me to do something that I enjoyed so much.

Fast forward to when we get home. I head out on Monday morning for a nice 5 mile run outside. Everything went well expect for my somewhat achy hips and knees. THEN...later that week - my ankle starts hurting. Did I twist it? No. Did I fall? No. Do I know at all what happened to it? No - just the fact that it is KILLING me.

So now it has been 1 entire week since I've ran. Let's say it's been a hard week. I thought I would enjoy not feeling like I HAVE to run everyday but instead I'm really missing my "ME" time, endorphins, something - and I hate it. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying my extra sleep and the not HAVING to work out - but a week is long enough and I'm ready for my body to feel back to normal.

I'm not one to go to the doctor often but I finally scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning. I'm afraid I'll come home with advice to ice it, stay off of it, put a brace on - everything I've already tried! So wish me luck - hopefully I come home with some sort of answer.

Until then...what are some ways you try and exercise while injured or that don't involve the ankle? Any suggestions or ideas?

4 comments:

Our Family Adventures said...

That is so frustrating!!! I hope you are on the mend soon. Let me know if you feel up to taking the girls on a walk.

Mrs. Olsen said...

Hmm, ankles are pretty critical for exercising, huh? My advice is to get new shoes and have them watch you walk to determine the best shoe for you. Has it been a while since you've gotten new shoes? They say you're supposed to get new shoes every so many miles, but I never remember what that number is or how many miles I've put on my shoes. I can tell when my shoes are dead, though, because I start getting aches and pains in my knees and hips. And that's my very non-professional opinion. :)

whitney said...

I don't know...swimming, maybe? *shrug*

Sorry about all the injuries, that's definitely the pits. I'm really impressed that you're actually running, though. Go you!

Company EIGHT said...

I'm so sorry! It is AWFUL when you can't get out and exercise when you want to.

I hope the new shoes do the trick!