Home

Sunday, January 27, 2013

{30}

{20}

{21}

{22}

{23}

{24}

{25}

{26}

{27}

{28}

{29}
 

{30}

Wednesday at 3:04am I officially turned {thirty}.

 I've been having mixed feelings about this birthday. The 30's on other people does not seem old, but on me, it's different. It seems old. Older than I want to be. Older than I feel. 

Being in your twenties still seems cool, hip, youthful, etc. so maybe this makes me somewhat shallow but I'm just a little sad to leave that decade behind. However, I know I'm not all of a sudden going to have a full head of gray hair, wear elastic polyester pants above my belly button, or gain twenty pounds.  I know I can still carry all that I am now into my thirties - just now with 10 years of experience to add to it.

 My twenties were a decade where I enjoyed many many major life experiences. As I look back on the past ten years I realized I've accomplished so much and have a lot to be grateful for.  

Here are {thirty} things I've gained from my twenties...

1 -I met, dated, and married the man of my dreams. Who this year we will celebrate 10 years of marriage together.

2 - I graduated college. 

3 - I spent several years as a full time second grade teacher and was able to work with many amazing students and learn valuable skills I still use daily.

4 - I met and formed lasting lifelong friendships with girls I can honestly call sisters.

5 - I carried and gave birth to 3 beautiful healthy baby girls.

6 - I've become a home owner and mini-van driver.

7 - I've joined a moms club, branched out and learned how to make good friends outside of church, and serve as the historian and vice president of said club.

8 - I've learned about preschool, co-oping, and the work it takes to be the president of said preschool.

9 - I've watched my baby learn to read, sent her to full-day kindergarten, and been a room mom.

10 - I've learned how to cook yummy dinners, bake bread and sweet treats, make nutritious meals, and meal plan.

11 - I've became a runner and did several 5ks, 10ks, along with a half and full marathon.

12 - I learned how to successfully lose weight, eat healthy, be fit and have been able to maintain a steady weight range during my entire 20s.

13 - I've learned how to serve in various callings in Relief Society, Young Woman's, Primary, and Sunday School.

14 - I've learned how to budget, save money, and spend accordingly for our fixed one income household.

15 - I've learned the overwhelming demands yet pure joy that comes from being a full-time stay-at-home mom.

16 - I've learned how to try new foods and even love some of them. Yet I have come to know that I still hate chocolate and mint together no matter how many times I try it.

17 - I've learned that it is good to aspire for more and to become better but to also be content with where I am right now and the person I have already become thus far in life.

18 - I've learned to love no matter what. Unconditionally. Even when you don't like or agree with others decisions.

19 - I've learned that my father-in-law is absolutely right when he says you need to continue to date your spouse. It's important and invaluable to a marriage and something I need to work on every day.

20 - I've learned that I still care too much about what other people think of me. Sometimes it can be a good thing and sometimes it's bad. Maybe one day I won't care but for now I still do.

21 - I've learned that every day is a new day. A second chance. A time to start anew. To be and do better.

22 - I've learned how to play volleyball (even though I still am not very good) and even play competitively with girls on a real community team. I've also branched out and played softball for the first time.

23 - I've learned how to put others needs before I mine. Even though I still know my own thoughts and consider myself selfish a lot of times.

24 - I've learned  I do not like to clean. Never have and maybe never will. I'm a picker uper with a clutter free house but please look past the dust and dirty floor.

25 - I've learned I like to be organized, planned, list in hand, everything in control - maybe too much sometimes and I'm not sure if I'll ever really grow out of it.

26 - I've learned that I love thrift shopping and have come a LONG ways from ducking down in our minivan when I was in middle school and my parents would stop at a garage sale because I didn't want anybody in the world to see me. Now I shop at Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Habitat for Humanity and will proudly tell the world all the killer steals I found.

27 - I've learned that you never reach a certain age and are just spiritual. I've found its something I struggle with every day and may for the rest of my life. It's a constant but worthy effort to read scriptures and pray daily.

28 - I've learned that for me to be a good mother I need to get away sometimes. On a weeknight by myself, on a date night monthly with my hubby, on a trip once a year with my girlfriends. Its good for me to remember who I am and was before my precious babies came along.

29 - I've learned that laughing helps lots of situations. Sometimes you just need to laugh, blow things off, and try not to take things too seriously. Look for the good, give the benefit of the doubt, be hopeful. We are here to be happy and that's what I'm pretty sure everyone is trying to do, including me.

30 - I'm still in the process of dealing with aging. I'm getting older. But that's what life is about. I have nothing to fear, only hope for all of the wonderful memories and experiences I have to look forward to in my future.

So here's to another decade down and another on the horizon. I have been extremely blessed and look forward to what the future holds.

{Celebrating}

 The weekend before my birthday my mom drove up and took me out to lunch and then we spent the day shopping together. It was so fun to have a day just the two of us. We need to make it a tradition :) For my actual birthday Justin made me breakfast in bed and took Brooklyn to school so I didn't have to get out of bed quite so early. Addy, Elle, and I went to volleyball and the library and then came home to Justin who surprised us and got out of work early. He made me the entire Cafe Rio dinner complete with yummy birthday cake then the girls spent the night at their friend's house while we snuggled up and rented a movie.

 


The girls and Justin got me a workout DVD I wanted and a gift certificate to get my nails done. I haven't had them done since my wedding almost 10 years ago but I love having fake nails and am excited to get them done sometime soon! I bought myself a new running skirt and was excited to try it out this week. My friends were so sweet on my birthday and made my day extra special. They showered me with candy, flowers, hot cider, and a special birthday jar. Then they took me out to try a new workout class and then a delicious dinner and dessert :)



3 comments:

James and Talai Macfarlane said...

I've learned that you are a beautiful writer :0) And just so you know, I am pretty sure you are the least selfish person I know - not once have I witnessed you being selfish in anyway. I laughed out loud about the polyester pants and when I read it to my mom she said, "Yeah, but she still wears sweat pants!"

whitney said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!! You are an amazing woman and such an example to me :)

Kristyn said...

what an awesome list. i'm so impressed by the things you've accomplished and that you could see the growth too. happy, happy birthday lady!!!