So one of my friend's Megan wrote about her birthing story and since I had so much fun reading hers I thought I'd share mine. I think us mother's (at least me) enjoy hearing others experiences.
So Brooklyn was due on Friday, April 13th. My mother was flying in on the next day- Saturday. I thought for sure that I would have my baby by then and had stopped working the week prior. Boy was that a mistake, with nothing to take my mind off of getting the baby out I went crazy going to the gym, drinking castor oil, etc. I did anything and everything that the doctor said could possibly bring on labor. Well nothing worked.
Finally, after experiencing some labor pains on Saturday and Sunday and then having them go away I was under the impression that this baby was on its own timetable and was not coming out. On Monday the labor pains started again after walking the mall with my mom and this time they didn't go away. So...I went in to the doctors and after waiting for like an hour with the pains getting worse and worse I was finally brought back to be examined. (I was there with my mother because Justin was finishing up a project that was due the next day - his very last day of college- perfect timing huh?).

Well the doctor gave me the go, said my contractions were real, and that he was heading over to the hospital to do a c-section but to meet him there in about an hour and hopefully I would have progressed a little. So we called Justin and told him to meet us at the hospital in an hour. My mom decided that if she was going to be at the hospital all night she wanted some dinner first. We went to Panda Express and while sitting in a chair waiting for my mom to finish eating my water broke. Yahoo! I could go to the hospital. And that we did. My pains got a million times worse and I screamed the whole car ride there. (My poor mom tried to tell me how to breath the whole way there but screaming just felt better. My mom along with a nurse at the hospital started me breathing with the he-he-who method - good thing I learned NOTHING from my prenatal classes). Well when we got to the hospital the doctor and anesthesiologist were in the c-section and therefore I could get no drugs. We checked in around 6 and by 8 o'clock I had my epidural and pretty much enjoyed the rest of the night watching The Bachelor and 24.
Around midnight I pushed and that lasted until 2:30am. The baby was under stress the entire time and therefore they had many other doctors waiting in the room to check the baby as soon as she came out. The doctor ended up having to use forceps (she came out right away with those things) but the cord was wrapped around her neck twice and she was not breathing. She had to be resuscitated as soon as they cut the cord from around her neck. Then I was able to hold her for like a minute before she was taken to the nursery with Justin and hooked up to all kinds of monitors. It was the scariest thing ever and from the moment she came out until the moment I was able to be with her 6 hours later I was praying the entire time that she would be all right. My prayers and those of many others were answered because our little sweetheart turned out just perfect.
We couldn't ask for more and are so blessed to have her in our lives. It's amazing how moms can recall every detail of their baby's birth yet every ache and pain I felt after seems so distant in my mind. I think that's why I want another one. Not yet though :) If my others are as good as Brooklyn has been though I'll have lots more!
So Brooklyn was due on Friday, April 13th. My mother was flying in on the next day- Saturday. I thought for sure that I would have my baby by then and had stopped working the week prior. Boy was that a mistake, with nothing to take my mind off of getting the baby out I went crazy going to the gym, drinking castor oil, etc. I did anything and everything that the doctor said could possibly bring on labor. Well nothing worked.
Finally, after experiencing some labor pains on Saturday and Sunday and then having them go away I was under the impression that this baby was on its own timetable and was not coming out. On Monday the labor pains started again after walking the mall with my mom and this time they didn't go away. So...I went in to the doctors and after waiting for like an hour with the pains getting worse and worse I was finally brought back to be examined. (I was there with my mother because Justin was finishing up a project that was due the next day - his very last day of college- perfect timing huh?).

Well the doctor gave me the go, said my contractions were real, and that he was heading over to the hospital to do a c-section but to meet him there in about an hour and hopefully I would have progressed a little. So we called Justin and told him to meet us at the hospital in an hour. My mom decided that if she was going to be at the hospital all night she wanted some dinner first. We went to Panda Express and while sitting in a chair waiting for my mom to finish eating my water broke. Yahoo! I could go to the hospital. And that we did. My pains got a million times worse and I screamed the whole car ride there. (My poor mom tried to tell me how to breath the whole way there but screaming just felt better. My mom along with a nurse at the hospital started me breathing with the he-he-who method - good thing I learned NOTHING from my prenatal classes). Well when we got to the hospital the doctor and anesthesiologist were in the c-section and therefore I could get no drugs. We checked in around 6 and by 8 o'clock I had my epidural and pretty much enjoyed the rest of the night watching The Bachelor and 24.
Around midnight I pushed and that lasted until 2:30am. The baby was under stress the entire time and therefore they had many other doctors waiting in the room to check the baby as soon as she came out. The doctor ended up having to use forceps (she came out right away with those things) but the cord was wrapped around her neck twice and she was not breathing. She had to be resuscitated as soon as they cut the cord from around her neck. Then I was able to hold her for like a minute before she was taken to the nursery with Justin and hooked up to all kinds of monitors. It was the scariest thing ever and from the moment she came out until the moment I was able to be with her 6 hours later I was praying the entire time that she would be all right. My prayers and those of many others were answered because our little sweetheart turned out just perfect.

We couldn't ask for more and are so blessed to have her in our lives. It's amazing how moms can recall every detail of their baby's birth yet every ache and pain I felt after seems so distant in my mind. I think that's why I want another one. Not yet though :) If my others are as good as Brooklyn has been though I'll have lots more!

10 comments:
I love, love, love hearing birth stories! I didn't know yours was so scary! I'm so glad things turned out so well for you! I never posted my delivery story because I didn't think people would be that interested, but maybe I will...
It's amazing what we go through to bring these sweet spirits to earth! But I'm like you, I know i'll do it again someday!
That was fun to read! Birth stories are the best!!! Maybe I'll post mine now!
can i tell you how much i laughed at seeing someone else who went into labor in full makeup? everyone always teases me about it. yay for you, erica! (and i figure I'll be looking at those pictures for a long time...I want to look good!)
and wow!!! you had to push for a LONG time! eek.
I forgot about the screaming your head off in the car after your water broke. I'm sure I'll want to do the same when it's my turn. And what's behind the breathing anyway? What does it do and why does it work for some?
Truly she's a miracle.
You are one of the most beautiful new mothers I have ever seen!
i cant beleive how gorgeous you look after all of that! your hair curled and all!
I definitely agree that you look great! Maybe I'll post my story, but I don't know if I can go through it again. =)
Thanks for sharing your story. I found your page through Megan. I wrote about my birthing story last month. If you are interested it's titled "Right Around the Corner..."
Post a Comment