Home

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

1/2 Marathon

Besides having kids, Saturday I did the most physically challenging thing to my body thus far in my life. I've been running for several years now but 10 weeks ago I started training and this past weekend I completed my first 1/2 marathon.

I started running back in college for weight reasons. Since then I had always done it just to stay in shape. My usual workouts for the last couple of years consisted of 3-5 miles several days a week.

Each year our town hosts a 5k and 10k run. Every year I had always done the 5k but this year I decided to run the 10k. I ran my usual distances to train but threw a few 6 milers in there and then ran the 10k back in June. It was after that that I decided no time in my life was better than now to venture into the unknown and try for a 1/2 marathon. I rounded up as many friends as I could to embark on this journey with me. Luckily I have some amazing friends (even some who went from nada - no working out at all - to running races in a few short weeks) and we diligently woke up EARLY every Saturday to run our long runs together. I soon was looking forward to these runs with my girls and the natural high and confidence you get after logging so many miles.


With hubbies, kiddos, and even a few dads in tow we journeyed across the state for the weekend. I was somewhat nervous before every long run I've ever done but this one was by far the worst! I got in bed a little after 9 and did not shut my eyes and finally fall asleep until 2. Little Miss Addy woke me up bright and early and after only 4 short hours of sleep I decided to get up, get ready, and meet my fellow runners.


We all drove together to the race and while walking to the car we found this...

one hubby sure knew the way to bring smiles to our faces amidst all of our nerves.


Once we got to the actual race my nerves had calmed down as I was too caught up getting situated, listening to the music, people watching, etc. that my adrenaline was already pumping. I got my IPOD set, my watch ready, and took off with the rest of this pack and all my friends with the hopes of just finishing this thing - and my personal goal was in under 2 hours.


The first 7 miles felt good and keeping under a 9 minute a mile pace was seeming easy. A friend's husband was there midway to cheer us on! Part of the way through I was also able to see several other of my girls running. It was so nice and encouraging to see people cheering you on, understanding what a hard thing this was that we were doing, and wanting you to make it to the finish.

After we passed through the state park where we got a pretty view of this...

all of the wind was taken out of me. Near the water the wind was super strong, there were white cap waves near the shore, and gusts of sand were being blown everywhere. After this I reached mile 8 just about ready to be done. I remember seeing people start to walk around mile 9 1/2 and I sort of wanted to join them. It took all I had to keep going despite lots of hills and more wind and my pace slowed down considerably but I continued to chug along. The last couple of miles I kept asking myself why I got myself into this, who wanted to do this in the first place, and to make sure I told everyone at the finish line never to let me do this again!

I finally made it to the finish where family and friends were waiting to cheer me on! My final time was 1:57:30 - an 8:58 pace - I was so ecstatic to have come in under my goal and was even more eager to watch all my friends cross the finish so I gave hugs to Justin, my dad, and the girls, and then ran and got my camera and hurried to the edge to cheer everyone else on.



When our last friend came around the bend we all ran out and linked arms to finish with her. It was by far the highlight of the entire experience. We all had come from so many different places physically, had different challenges and injuries, and yet here we were every single one of us crossing that finish - accomplishing all we had set out to do. It is a moment I will remember and cherish forever.


Although I haven't put my running shoes back on since - I know I will. After two days the soreness was gone and my mind was already venturing to think about doing another 1/2 or maybe a whole sometime in the future. There is something indescribable that comes from making a goal, especially a difficult one, working really really hard, and then seeing yourself accomplish it. I love the high that comes from crossing that finish line and when my marathoner/lifelong runner stepdad said to me after the race, "I think you're hooked..."



I'm beginning to think he just might be right...



14 comments:

Carn Family said...

You did such a great job! Maybe I cab join you on a 10k...possibly a 1/2 but a full marathon, girl, you are CRAZY. If anyone could do it though it would be you. Thanks for getting me started and being such an inspiration.

Julie Baldwin said...

Running is the best thing in the world! I got my little brother hooked this summer. Other than being really excited to have my little baby boy, I can't wait to get back into running. I'm planning to do my first FULL marathon next summer. :)

Our Family Adventures said...

Way to go! I am so glad you were able to accomplish your goal!! Congratulations :)

Stephanie Lowe said...

Can I tell you how AMAZING you are...because you are more than that!!! You did so great in the race and I'm so excited for all you accomplished!!! If anyone can run 13 more miles...it's you and you know who :)!!! Love you guys!!!

Shauna said...

Wow Erica!! That is amazing! YOU are AMAZING!!!

Sarah M said...

Congrats! What an accomplishment. That is a goal of mine...one day :) A full marathon is not though, that has never been appealing to me!! Way to go, and keep it up!

Company EIGHT said...

I'm so proud of you, for working so hard and meeting your goal--you did awesome!!!!

EatRunWorkPlay said...

Way to go! That is so cool!
I have been playing (pretty hard) with the idea of running....so today I went with a friend who runs marathons, and it sucked!!! I am debating if it's really for me or not...I'm already sore from today and seriously was wondering if it does get easier...
Your post has made me think that maybe I can do it...of course I'd be starting out very basic...the half marathon will have to be way down the road!
Good job again! :)

whitney said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! Congrats! Congrats!!!

Jedda said...

Way to go girl!

Kristyn said...

WAY TO GO ERICA!! I think you are the coolest person right now. And I'm really jealous/happy for you! I need something like a big race to get me into gear. I LOVE running, but am not a morning person, and can't seem to get up before my husband leaves for work. Maybe this was just the motivation I needed to do it! Awesome job Erica!

Kristyn said...

PS About the marathon thought - I ran a half way back in college with some friends too, and one of the marathoners from that day was talking to me and said that if you can do a half you can definitely do a full marathon. I wonder if she's right...?

Mindy said...

I'm so impressed that you're thinking about a full marathon already! I'm glad it went so well...that's a great time! Races are totally addicting, I'm sure you'll do many more.

Day Family Blog said...

That is awesome. Someday I will do one too if I can just stay unpregnant or unnursing long enough :) That is so fun that you did it with a bunch of friends, what a bonding experience.