Home

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

you know you have way too much...


Both my mom and my stepdad and probably my sisters as well and I guess my hubby too (okay maybe me sometimes too) - ALL love to keep things - EVERYTHING. Example: One time when we drove home from PA where Justin is from he insisted on bringing with him a poster that was made for him in high school when he played volleyball. I insisted that it did not need to make its home in our basement. It then got thrown out in the next week's trash :) That's how bad he is - maybe the both of us sometimes!

My mom has so sweetly stored boxes and boxes of mine since I've moved out of the house. Now that we have our own house she regularly sends me home or brings a couple of boxes up whenever we see each other. I have every report card from school, clothes from middle school, love notes from boys, every stuffed animal I ever owned, etc. Although I am trying to not be a pack-rat and get rid of most of all of this stuff I sure love going home and raiding the barn!

My parents built this barn on the property where the house I grew up in is. They still own the house but have moved to a different house and rent this house out. But the barn however...we still go there often to pick up stuff that they have and don't use anymore. It's like shopping at a giant thrift store where everything has a memory associated with it. My parents so lovingly donate things to me that they have saved for us or don't want or need anymore. Hence...the end tables in my living room and bedroom and a large majority of the toys in our basement. After this most recent trip I came home with supplies to start canning (yay!) and have scoped out my old bed and dresser that we're going to redo and use when we switch Brooklyn over to a big girl bed.

So although I don't want to be a pack-rat - I am forever indebted to my parents for keeping/storing TONS and TONS of everything for me! Thank you!

I heart the barn

3 comments:

Stephanie Lowe said...

Since my mom moved in next door, it has been fun to go through her things...and she is a MEGA pack-rat! Most of it is old and ugly, but I have found numerous gems that I'm excited about! I love all those hidden treasures!!! Just think what Brooklyn will find in your stuff when she is older!

Kristyn said...

How nice to use that old stuff over again!!! That is so great. I'm like you and love to clear out things - no space for it, it's gone. Paul's mom gives us old paintings he did in elem school all the time. Nice to look at, but I'm mean and toss it. I can't wait to see the before and after shots. That's one of my favorite things about your blog - your creative genius shining through!

ldsgirl said...

Well Erica its nice to hear that I did not do all that saving for nothing. I am glad you appreciate remembering events from you childhood. I also think it is neat when we give Brooklyn something of yours and she loves it. I love you mom