Home

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

fruits of my labor

This is what I spent all Saturday morning doing - cooking!

I made 6 jars of chili and tried 3 different bread recipes to make lots and lots of rolls which are currently making their home in my freezer.


The chili recipe I use is this:


2 lbs hamburger
1 (29 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 (29 oz) can of kidney beans with the liquid
1 (29 oz) can of pinto beans with the liquid
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup green chili peppers
1/4 cup celery
3 medium tomatoes (I used 3 cans instead of fresh)
2-3 teaspoons cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water


Brown the hamburger with the onions and celery. Then pour everything else in and cook till heated through. Makes just over 6 quarts.

The winner for the bread recipe goes to my friend Jessica who posted this recipe on her blog. They turned out delicious.

Betsy Rolls
by Mary Jackson (Joe's aunt)

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1 cup tap water
2 T yeast
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
5-6 Better for Bread Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Directions:
Boil butter and 1 cup water until butter is melted. Poor into mixer. Add 1 cup tap water. When cool enough (room temperature) add yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy (20 mins). Then add eggs and mix well. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Start with 5 cups flour and add more until bowl pulls away from side of bowl. Let rise until double. Divide into three pieces and roll out into circle. Cut into 16 wedges. Roll from wide end and let rise until double. Bake at 400 for 9-10 minutes.

I used half wheat half white flour. When I do it in a loaf I bake it 30-35min 350 degrees.


And finally... the big TA-DA .............. my first ever attempt at making bread - I was a little weary when the recipe I tried stated nothing about letting the dough rise. But I'm a girl who follows directions and continued on and baked as directed. Let's just say I will NOT be trying that recipe again. I will however attempt bread once more - hopefully the loaf will turn out more than an inch high :)

8 comments:

Young Family said...

I told you the rolls are tasty. I'm glad you enjoyed them. I made cinnamon rolls last night with that recipe. It really is my favorite all around. Try it for bread next time too.

Company EIGHT said...

Way to go!! I'm proud of you for trying the bread, and a new recipe will definitely make a difference!

Megan said...

Oooh, I will be trying those rolls for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Melissa said...

Those look delicious! I am glad you shared the recipes too :)

Stephanie Lowe said...

What a cozy meal for a cold day! I'll have to try your recipes--they look great (hmmm, even your bread :) )!

Bethanne said...

Look at you, Martha! Just kidding... I'm just jealous because baking/cooking and I just don't get along most of the time. Everything looks so yummy though. Poor Dan is missing out!

beapinkal said...

Those rolls look so yummy! I'll try them for sure. How are you feeling these days?

eight happy "hardts" said...

I can't wait to try your recipe's. They look wonderful. I remember the last recipe I tried of yours, "Wendys chili" it is still Daymon's favorite. THANKS