Home

Saturday, April 18, 2009

It all began early Wednesday morning around 1:45am. I awoke to cramping that I soon recognized as contractions. They continued about every 5 minutes so around 2 something I woke up Justin. He made sure to have me eat and drink to see if they went away. Lo and behold they didn't go away and had been painful the entire time so around 3am we decided it was time to make the trip to the hospital.

We woke up Brooklyn and dropped her off at our friend's house until my mom could make the drive up and pick her up. Then we called our doctor. He said to go in, get checked, and if I was dilating he would be right in. When we arrived at the hospital around 3:30am I was already dilated to a 5 or 6 and shortly thereafter our wonderful doctor was there.

After being poked a hundred times (I guess my veins are not so easy to work with) I was hooked up to an IV and moved to my room. I was all set up to have an epidural (which is really hard to get at the hospital I was delivering at) but after it was administered, given a second dose, and waiting over 20 minutes it never worked. Sad - I know. So the relief I had been so anticipating for the last couple of hours never came. However in the meantime my water did break, I did feel like I was not going to be able to survive another second of it, and I did dilate to a 10 rather fast. So after about 20 - 25 minutes of pushing and experiencing the most awful pain (I really don't know how I did it or will ever do it again) ever imaginable I delivered the most perfect little angel at 7:12 am. She weighed 7lbs. 2oz. and was 19 inches long.



Getting checked in


This is what a woman who just have birth without an epidural looks like
baby Addison
Snuggling with mommy
The best doc around

poor hubby's bed at the hospital

the three us of
some of my best girlfriends who came to visit not so sure about the carseat

time to go homeI am so thankful for an amazing doctor who provided such a calming peaceful reassurance during the entire process, wonderful nurses who were such help, friends and family who either came to visit or called, a hubby who let me squeeze his hands and supported me through everything, and most especially a Heavenly Father who watched over our family through this entire process and blessed us with a happy healthy little spirit to add to our family.

12 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love reading labor and delivery stories! So sad that your epidural didn't work!! However, I guess on the positive side, you now know that you can do it without one! Addison is beautiful, I'm so glad everyone is happy and healthy. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! To you and baby Addison. What a beautiful name, for a beautiful angel. Way to go! That would be horrible to be expecting it to work, and it doesn't!!! But I'm glad you both made it!

Unknown said...

Congrats! Good luck adjusting to having two little ones!

Kika VilaNova said...

Aw little Addison IS a princess! what a cutie!! And girl, you're my hero! I felt real contractions before my pain meds for the c-section started working and I really thought I was going to DIE! You're amazing! congrats!!

hugs hugs!

Melissa said...

I am so Excited she is here! She is beautiful :) We love your cute little family!!!!

Aubrey said...

You're a trooper! Way to give birth with out any meds working for you. You're little girl is beautiful! I hope you are enjoying being a mother of two! You will have so much fun with your princesses.

Jennifer said...

Erica, she is beautiful! I'm so happy for you guys! I'm really glad everything went smoothly,too. I hope you are adjusting well at home. I think about you guys always. Take care!

Day Family Blog said...

I love labor stories! I am so sorry the epidural didn't work. Our insurance doesn't pay for that so I might try doing without, but man the pain makes you want to die. I am glad that Brooklyn loves her so much, Camille ignored Maddie for the first 6 months.

Muznah said...

wow. congratulations! I'm really happy for you :)

Lots and lots of prayers

Company EIGHT said...

I loved coming to see you in the hospital, and holding that sweet baby for the first time. You did it!!

Bethanne said...

I love the pics of Brooklyn and Addison...what a help she will be!

And the story of the labor and delivery? Well, the Lord doesn't give you anything you can't handle...and that is why I have to have c-sections. 15 minutes of surgery and a spinal block. I'm too much of a wuss to do it the old fashioned way. Whoa! You looked amazing in the pictures BTW. No fair!

whitney said...

Ahhh, nothing like a good birth story ;)

You look waaay too fabulous in all the pictures. Love 'em.