Home

Sunday, May 20, 2012

{dc trip}

Have you ever had those moments you wish you could just freeze and capture in time? Those times when you regret so badly that your life didn't come with a built in video camera so you could record some memories and replay them over and over?

That's how I feel no doubt every single time I go on a trip with these ladies. Four of some of my absolutely closest friends and I recently went on our annual girl's trip. This was our five year anniversary of doing girl's trips and decided to take it to Washington D.C. this time. In the past we've been to Cincinnati, Toronto, Chicago twice, and now our nation's capitol. Although I want to say we choose this destination for the history and amazing landmarks, monuments, and past that is encompessed in such a small area, I have to say the real reason it made it on our list is because it was the closest Cafe Rio to our hometown :)

Usually our trips are taken just over a weekend or maybe a long weekend but this trip was 4 nights and 5 days away from our husbands and kiddos. We all have the most amazing husbands who are willing to hold down the homefront, clean, cook, and take off work just so we can go, spend money, and have ourselves a good 'ole time. These trips definitely wouldn't be possible without their constant support. (Disclaimer: Don't think for one second the men don't have a bawl when we are gone however. I know the hubby went paintballing, him + kids had a sleepover at a friends, and there were many many late nights and way too much junk food consumed while I was away - but I really can't complain!)

We took off on a rainy Wednesday afternoon and made the long drive to Pittsburgh to stay for the night. Long drives can sometimes get boring but these ladies and I could travel across the entire U.S. and still carry on a conversation. The car ride is by far my favorite part (other than the food). We listened to each other's favorite songs, giggled and then laughed hysterically we may have cried or peed our pants, we all had our turn of tears streaming down our faces, we took part in very personal and deep conversations, and in the end I'm always a little shocked there's still things I don't know about these girls. No matter what we learn or say or hear or find out though we always end up loving each other more and more.


After leaving Pittsburgh Thursday morning we immediately programmed Cafe Rio into the GPS. Hotel? Nope. We know what's most important! Here's the beauty now. Just looking at it makes me want to hop back in the car tonight and make the 10 hour drive just to get another one.


Here's proof that I was there AND consumed every last morsel of that salad. I could not stop no matter what my belly was telling me. We were completely silent for the first few minutes as I'm sure everyone around us wondered who the ravenous piglets were. It's a good thing I ended up not eating dinner that night because this salad was enough to last the rest of the night!


With full bellies we checked into our hotel and then started our sightseeing. Our first stop was Arlington National Cemetery. What a sacred place to stand where thousands upon thousands of men and women who gave their lives protecting our freedoms are now buried. What a good reminder of the blessing it is to live in this country and of what it has taken to get to this point.


While at the cemetary we were there to witness the changing of the guards. There the tomb of the unknown soldier is guarded 24/7 every single day of the year. The guards change every 30 minutes and it was a very sacred and solemn moment to be able to witness.

We completed our stop at the cemetary by finishing our bus tour with one of the best tour guides - he was lively and oh so informative and I think we all learned lots as he described tombstones, statues, and other landmarks on the grounds.


That night we ventured out to the most amazing mall (which we were all sad we didn't get a chance to actually shop at) for some Pinkberry ice cream, Five Guys fries, and a chick flick at the movie theater.


The next day we ventured off bright and early for a day of sightseeing. Our first stop was the Holocaust Museum. I had heard many wonderful things about this place and was really looking forward to it. After spending a couple hours there we ventured out for lunch. Justin's brother Jarrod works near there and came to say hi. We chatted for a bit but then an unexpected bout of rain hit and there was no way we were treking though the downpour to look for a restaurant. I was busy talking when all of a sudden I hear a scream and turn to see my dear 20 something week pregnant friend Stephanie laying flat on her belly! She had slipped on the slick surface the rain caused and hurt her ankle (baby was perfectly fine).

After grabbing lunch in the museum and some time spent in the nurses office of the museum we headed out again to see the rest of D.C. only this time with wheelchair in tow (well we actually only had wheelchairs while we were in the actual buildings we were seeing - getting to and fro was a different story!)

After a cab ride, trolley, and another wheelchair we made it to the capitol where we had tickets for a tour. Once inside we saw a very well put together movie and then went on a guided tour complete with headphones. We had a great tour guide who explained paintings, statues, and various parts of the capitol. It was amazing to see and be in such places where history has been and is still currently being made.


After another bout at the Holocaust Museum we went on a short tour of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. There are only 2 places in the U.S. where our money is made so it was really neat to see stack and stacks of sheets of bills being made right before our eyes.


Well...the wheelchairs only made it so far and at this point Steph could not walk on her foot. We tried to get everywhere with arms wrapped around friends trying to hop until I finally suggested all four of us attempt carrying her. I thought it would be a quicker way to get around - and guess what? It was :)  We all took part of Steph and swooped her away to make it to and from the metro stations. We were a sight to be seen with many smiles, odd looks. and offers to get us an ambulance! We finally made it and were grateful to hear our hotel had a wheelchair we could keep with is for the rest of our stay!


We were starving and headed to Cheesecake Factory for some much needed dinner and dessert! That place never disappoints. After a long long late night in the ER to make sure foot and baby were okay we were somehow brave enough to venture out one last time the next day after very very little sleep to see some last sightseeing stops before we left D.C.

We hurried around the National Mall area that morning to get our glimpses of the White House and the other monuments and then made the trek down to the Lincoln Monument.



We made a quick stop to see his statue (which is amazing) and ponder on the goodness he did for our country. I wish we could have stayed longer but we still had other things on the agenda.


We hurried along, hopped on the metro, quickly changed at the hotel, ate a delicious lunch at the cutest little restaurant, and finally ended up at what just might happen to be my favorite part of every girl's trip - the spa. After the weekend we had we were all pretty tired, sore, and more than ready for some rest, relaxation, and pampering. We changed into our robes, laid around and relxed in low-lit rooms with comfy chaises with soft music. We all got massages and then relaxed some more before we decided it was finally time to go. We eneded our last night in D.C. with Cafe Rio once again, dessert, and fitting five girls on a pull-out hotel couch to watch Friends on tv.


It was the perfect ending to a perfect trip. The memories we have created together over the past several years have given us a bond that can't be broken by time or distance. I look forward every year to our trip and can't wait for the many many more in our future.

4 comments:

Carn Family said...

Miss is already! How sad is it that I am ready for another massage. I'm not sure I can wait another year before my next one.

Bryden Blabbing said...

I love the criteria you used for picking your next destination! Looks like you had a great trip and wonderful weather. How fun.

Lyndi said...

Lovely, just lovely. I think the best pic is of you at Cafe Rio!

EatRunWorkPlay said...

How fun! You're right about the guys- they LOVE it when we leave them! :)