Home

Thursday, February 7, 2008

I really do love my car - just not now!

Can I just please vent about my day for a second.

Well Michigan got hit pretty hard with lots of snow yesterday. School was canceled but some women were going to get together at the church to do crafts and let their kids play. What mother wouldn't want to get out of the house ?!? Well of course I wanted to go!

So while Brooklyn took her morning nap I shoveled the foot of snow from our driveway (along with a nice neighbor who used his snowblower to help) and called it good. What was I thinking trying to take the Mustang out ?!? I got out of the driveway and onto our road and was stuck. While Brooklyn chilled in the car I tried to shovel snow out from around my tires to help get me unstuck. Didn't work. Meanwhile my car is blocking my street so I'm praying nobody needs to get down it! Finally someone on our street (dressed in his shirt and tie) says he's going to run and get his son. When he comes out so does the neighbor from across the street and both men push me ALL the way down our street. No, not just a little push to get me going, I said - ALL THE WAY DOWN THE STREET!!! I had to turn down one other road before I hit the main road. I made it down that street as I watched them in my rear view mirror waiting to make sure I was all right. What good guys!

So I spend my afternoon at the church thinking that when I head for home 3 hours later the snow will be packed down more, maybe plowed, or maybe melted. Anything better than it was this morning. One of my friends offered to give me a ride and another offered to follow me, but I thought for sure things would be just fine - well I should have taken them up on their offers. Once I turned off of the main road I immediately got stuck in our subdivision. A man was out walking with his little boy and tried pushing me - that didn't work. He said he would run home and get his car and try and pull me. While I wait for him another man comes out of his house and tries shoveling me out. With the help of the shovel and these nice gentlemen I am able to make it home. The one even followed me to make sure I made it home safely!

When Justin called me this afternoon I couldn't help but break down in tears. Was I SO stupid for wanting to go out today and actually attempting it (Justin informed me that several people got stuck today because of the snow which made me feel a teeny bit better)!!! Am I going to have to be confined to my home EVERY SINGLE TIME it snows?

So right now I am hating my car. It's pretty hard to give up when we pay absolutely NOTHING for it. But after the day I've had - I've had it with that car and would even be willing to trade that sucker in for something, just about ANYTHING that will allow me to make it through our Michigan winter without getting stuck or sliding around everywhere on the road!

Well while I throw myself a pity party I'm going to review in my mind all of the many hundreds of thank you's I need to make to so many people who so willingly helped me out in my time of need :) At this moment if I'm not grateful for my car at least I'm grateful for them.

8 comments:

Our Family Adventures said...

I am so sorry you got stuck again!!! Please call when you want to go somewhere, I am always happy to get out!

kenders said...

I'm so sorry you got stuck! What a frustrating day!! It sounds like you really have to trade in your car to survive...hopefully you can make it as long as you need to. And I'm so glad you had all those neighbor angels to help you! :)

Megan said...

That is the most frustrating thing ever! You are not crazy for attempting to get out of the house. We have a bad case of cabin fever right now (aubrey has the stomach flu) so I totally understand!

Kristin Hanson said...

I know your pain - our car has the same issues! It's such a pain to be stuck at home out side of our little community here in Winfield.

Carn Family said...

That really stinks. I am amazed however that you seem to have a ton of men that show up at just the right time and are so willing to help. I am always sacared I will get stuck somewhere with my 3 kids and end up walking home! Sorry for your bad day yesterday :(

Kristyn said...

Sounds like the you officially have the nicest neighbors ever and the worst car for a Michigan winter.

Hope the rest of the season goes better for you!!

Rachael said...

oh, what a bummer! we were in michigan for the weekend and i was SO grateful we had a jeep, since it was pretty much impassable. i'm so glad you had so many good samaritans to come to your rescue!

Kristin said...

Texas = No snow = Kristin is happy