Home

Friday, February 8, 2008

Life Long Learning

I was talking to a friend the other day on the phone and we were discussing how we think we have lost all of our knowledge that doesn't pertain to babies since giving birth. Where did our brains go? we wondered.

I never have been the best at remembering long term information. Especially when it doesn't really have any use for me. I used to love history but could never remember any of it because it wasn't something I was thinking about all of the time. I never thought I was the absolute smartest person out there, however I did really well in high school, graduated from college, and taught elementary school for 3 years - but since I have become a stay at home mom I feel like I've lost (or maybe it was never there) things I've been taught.

We had friends over the other night and we were playing Catch Phrase. Sparta came up on the screen for me to describe and I couldn't remember who that was...and then Bosnia came up on my turn and I couldn't think of anything to say other than it was a country! I want to know all about our world, exactly how the political process is run and what each candidate stands for, prominent writers and musicians and their works - how does one go about learning and being educated in all of these areas other than watching the hot topics portion of The View while holding a baby on my lap?

I know how important it is to continue learning and to always be striving to increase your knowledge but lately I feel like the only things I'm learning are how to get rid of cradle cap, how to treat a diaper rash, etc.

How do you remember information that you don't use all the time? Does anyone have any tricks for helping me remember all of the things I've been taught(or RElearning them actually)?

And just how do you keep intellectually stimulated and continue life-long learning when you find yourself singing Old McDonald all day long?

12 comments:

Allison said...

I'm not good at this but my very smart husband swears that reading books keeps you smart and teaches you new things. So if you can find time in your day to read I bet that is the trick! Someday I might try it too!

beapinkal said...

I loved this post. I feel the same way. It is funny because i was teaching at BYU last summer (hungarian history) and it wasn't even 6 months ago but I don't remember too much from it. It is hard when you have so many things to do and think and keep up with. So at least you are not alone with this problem:)

kenders said...

I also agree that reading helps a lot. J is brilliant and I'm constantly asking him where did you learn that? His reply is mostly "I can't remember, but I read it somewhere." He loves reading numerous newspapers daily and books when he has time. So I would start there. Start reading some online news like CNN or The Wall Street Journal or something. Enjoy! (Ps. I appreciate your honesty and totally agree, but I'm kind of shocked too. You were such an on the ball 24/7 never stopping teacher! It's just kind of ironic that you feel that way. :)

Kristin Hanson said...

Find a friend that either knows or wants to know about the things you are interested in and talk about it. If it wasn't for my fellow art history nerds, I would have forgotten about it. My other suggestion - books on tape. I have a hard time these days balancing a book and a baby, so I listen to alot of audio books. They keep me 'sharp' ;)

Company EIGHT said...

I read a lot too. Books, newspapers, magazines, websites and anything else I can get my hands on. When I hear about a subject that interests me, or I want to learn more about it, I research it, and soak it in! But remember, all the knowledge that you are learning about cradle cap and baby stuff is important too. You are in a totally different stage of life now, and these things are relevant to who you are now. It doesn't mean that you have to stop learning other things, but that you are now learning even more things!!

whitney said...

I guess reading does help...but also, know that you're not alone. It happens to us all. I was talking to my husband the other day and I started to cry b/c I couldn't remember Ruben's name and when you're an Art History major, that's basic. It's like my mind has turned to mush since I've started staying home with the babies all day. Sorry I'm not more help, but at least you know I can relate.

Aubrey said...

I don't have any suggestions. Just know that I've been thinking the very same thing lately. I feel my brain has gone to MUSH!

Adrienne said...

I know what you mean but I've been trying some things out. One night a week I go to the library and study spanish. And at the moment I'm taking an interior design class through continuing education. Most cities have some sort of classes you can take for cheap. I'm not learning the things I learned in school but it's always good to branch out I think.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Found you! Just wanted to say hello & tell you how cute Brooklyn is! Hope things are well for you in Michigan! By the way, you're not alone in your learning worries! I'm lucky if I get a few minutes to catch some CNN. Sportscenter is always on!

Emily said...

Yeah! I am so glad you found me! I will have to add you to my links. I can completely agree with this post. I think the secret is setting aside some alone time to do stuff like that.

Rachael said...

what an interesting post, and what good comments and suggestions! i'll just reiterate what a lot of other people have said: for me the important things are
1) reading. i read WAY too much, so i try to balance it out every now and then with some nonfiction thought-provoking books (have you read Freakonomics? a very easy and very interesting read). i also try to stay current on the news so that i know what my husband's talking about if he brings something up that happened recently!
2) finding and developing old/new interests. like adrienne said, it may not be what you did in school, but you're gaining new talents and continuing to learn new skills--so if spending a night making beaded jewelry is what does it for you, go for it!
3) sort of along the lines of number 2--find an interest that is outside of your child. this is hard for me, because a lot of times all my attention is focused on the girls and my conversations with my friends revolve around the girls, but it's also good for me to have something that reminds me "who i am" as defined as something other than "abigail's mom." for me, teaching part-time is the way to do this, but i also really love doing book clubs, taking classes at community centers or the gym, etc. just something that pushes me out of my mommy zone.
4) scripture study--not only does it actively engage your brain in the reading, but it forces you to think about things that push your thought processes just a bit--more analytical reasoning and "how does this apply to me" type things. plus it gives you that little boost of "i did something virtuous today!" feeling.

jenn said...

Hey Erica! I'm glad you found me. I love The View! Umm, I try to stay smart by reading and also by working part-time when I can. I'm gonna go back to work again soon. I have to use my degree that I worked so hard for, right?(clinical social work). I'm able to work a few hours in the evenings when Tim's home. And I want to start taking classes here and there. Where do you live in Michigan? You're from Grand Rapids, right? We lived in East Lansing for a couple of years. I don't know if you remember. So glad to read about you and your fam (such a cute little girl!!). I'll have to come back and read more when I get some time. Time? what's that?