Home

Friday, October 12, 2007

All because two people fell in love...

I realized that a lot of the people that check our blog didn't know Justin and I when we got married. So here's a little flashback. (Since Brooklyn is sleeping I really should be getting something accomplished around the house - but this is so much more fun!) So this was Justin and I on our wedding day on August 23, 2003. Wow! It has been four wonderful years! We've experienced so much together and I know I couldn't have chosen a better hubby. So here's part of our story. We met in February in our ward FHE group. Justin had just gotten back from his mission in October and I was in my second year at BYU. We saw each other at 7-11 (getting slurpies I imagine but I can't really remember). Me, being quite outgoing and forward, struck up a conversation with him saying that I think he was in my ward and so on. After that we began hanging out and spent every single day together after that. We both continued dating (I wasn't sure I was ready to give up the single life. I had always thought that the next person I got into a serious relationship with was going to be the person I married so I think I was trying to shy away from getting into a relationship for fear I would end up married -not that I didn't want that- everyone who knew me well knew I would have loved to get married). After a couple of months of me wanting to continue dating everyone and getting mad if Justin went on a date he finally had to give me the ultimatum (I wanted to have my cake and eat it too). He said either we start dating only each other or we were just going to be friends. I decided to give it a shot and we officially started dating in April. Well it didn't take long to know I had fallen in love and couldn't find a reason not to marry him, so we got engaged in June, Friday the 13th to be exact. This was my absolute favorite part of that summer - Justin proposing. Who could ask for more? Justin picked me up and took me up into the mountains. He led me through some rose petal covered trails in the woods that finally led to a huge open grassy area with the moon shining brightly. In the middle was a blanket surrounded by dozens of candles, two wine glasses, and Martinelli's. He had been carry a blanket and when we sat down I discovered that he had been carrying Cafe Rio under it! My favorite. We ate - well I think I was too nervous to eat- and talked and I was ready to cry the entire time because I had know this was coming for almost the entire night. He had brought up a little portable tape player and we listened to songs as we sat there. Finally, the song "My Everything" by Keith Urban came on. (If you don't know it you should listen to it. - one of the lines is, 'I want to be the hand to lift your veil' and I had always said I wanted to be proposed to with that song-) anyways, so Justin got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I am a hopeless romantic and nothing could have been more perfect. I bawled and hugged him and of course said yes! Two months later we were married in August in the Detroit, Michigan temple. It was quite quick but when you know, you know. And that's how it was for us. This blog is becoming somewhat of an online journal or scrapbook so I thought I should include all about how our life together began. It's been absolutely wonderful so far and I look forward to all of the years we have ahead !

4 comments:

Our Family Adventures said...

How Sweet! I always love hearing how people met and a bit of background : ) Thanks for sharing!!

Kristin Hanson said...

I don't think I ever heard the "whole" story before - I love it! The funny thing is, I had to give Dave the ultimatum because, like you, he wanted to have his cake and eat it, too! I love your boquet, by the way - great choice of colors and flowers!

Mrs. Olsen said...

I've already heard that story, but it's still so cute!!!

Shauna said...

I think I vaguely remember meeting Justin when you guys were dating . . . or wa it another guy? :) Hey check out this gal's blog: http://thedittofamily.blogspot.com/
She's an awesome writer and she did this tribute to her husband, sooooo cute! And in older posts- her kid's rooms! She has great ideas to copy, (however, I can't because she in my ward) so I thought I'd send them on.