I'm being a little ambitious here and am planning a little Halloween get together. I am going to make some chili. I have a recipe that I've made a few times but it's nothing spectacular. So does anyone have any recipes for some chili that they absolutely love? If so, let me know...
4 comments:
I LOVE chili, but have only made it once. I am looking forward to the party!
Dave loves my chili, but I must warn you, I never can make it the same way twice. However, it always comes out really yummy. I mince 1/2 of a large onion, brown it (you want them to be a light golden color) in a non stick skillet with a tad bit of oil (about a 1/2 T). Then I throw in 1 lb of ground beef and brown it, with the onions. Add 1 can of s&w chili beans (with sauce), 1 can of black beans, 1 small can of tomato sauce or a really small can of tomato paste (for a thicker chili), 1 palmful of chili powder, 1 palmful of cumin, 1/4 palmful of garlic powder, a squirt or two of ketchup, and a few dashes of hot sauce. I made it for the ward party this weekend and doubled the beans to make it go farther. I also tried throwing it all in the crock pot, but that didn't work so well.
Ingredients
Vegetable cooking spray
1 pound ground round
1 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, undrained
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
2 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pepper
7 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
Sliced green onions (optional)
Preparation
Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add meat, onion, and garlic, and cook until the meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well, and return mixture to pan. Add beans and the next 8 ingredients (beans through pepper); stir well. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.
Yield
7 servings (serving size: 1 cup chili and 1 tablespoon sour cream)
Nutritional Information
CALORIES 233(27% from fat); FAT 7.1g (sat 2.4g,mono 2.6g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 23.4g; CHOLESTEROL 42mg; CALCIUM 69mg; SODIUM 462mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 22.9g
ooh, i have a good one. this is seriously the best one I've EVER found. and i don't even like chili that much!
Soak overnight 2 cups black beans in 4 cups water (I use the whole 16-oz package, about 2 2/3 cups, and give it some extra water).
Change water for 5 c. fresh in the morning, simmer 2-3 hours (I add water as needed). Then add
1 ½ t salt 1 onion, diced
1 t. red pepper flakes 1 lb ground beef (break it up)
1 t. dry mustard 3 T. sugar
1 t. chili powder 8 oz can tomato sauce
½ c. ketchup
Simmer 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
*Note: I put in about 2/3 cup more beans and adjust the rest of the recipe up a bit, primarily on the ground beef. I use a larger onion and a touch more spices. I also use the crock pot for the last 1-2 hours of cooking and give it around 4 or 5 hours, alternating between high for the first couple of hours and low for the last two, then on “keep warm” for the last hour.
Post a Comment